Thursday, March 17, 2011

Backcountry Boiler

I'm pretty excited about a new piece of gear I just received. It's called the Backcountry Boiler and it was designed by a backpacker in Pittsburgh named Devin Montgomery. His website is here. The lightweight backpacking community has been eagerly anticipating the release of the boiler. In the first run only 100 were produced and I was able to get one of those first 100. I'm looking forward to using this on upcoming hikes.


In a later post I'd like to talk about what to do when dry wood is not available.

5 comments:

Brian said...

Great review and video Heber, thanks for taking the time to put this together. Of course I'm insanely jealous that you got one of the first 100 orders, but I will try and live vicariously through you :-)

Lybi said...

What an interesting little gizmo! Great design--I wonder if you could even put a little bigger of a stick in there to burn longer unattended.

I enjoyed your explanation, and I'll be darned if I don't feel like I need 1 or 2 for our 72 hour kits.

Anonymous said...

How well does it pour? Looks like the opening for pouring the water out would trickle the water down the side of the "Boiler".

Any comments on that?

Heberfarnsworth said...

I haven't noticed a problem with pouring. But I think that's because I'm usually not interested in pouring just a little water out. I use all 2 cups for my meal so I just dump the entire contents into my freezer bag meal or whatever. When you do that there is no dribbling. If you wanted to measure out say 1/2 cup then I think it might be a problem. That's where the heavier, commercial units like the Kelly Kettle shine. They have a spout to facilitate pouring.

BBK said...

Great post and video! I can't wait to get one.